With fall now swiftly upon us, the time has come for us to examine certain aspects of our closets and make the necessary additions to any category of clothing that may be lacking. For me, sweaters are one of my favorite fall wardrobe items and it seems that each year my collection continues to grow. I have quickly outgrown my designated “sweater drawers” and am now resorting to stacking sweaters on any available surface in the closet. What’s a girl to do?!?
I think my collection continues to swell because sweaters are just so versatile and comfortable for cooler weather. Unlike a leather or suede moto jacket, a long cardigan just seems to wrap you up in a cocoon of warmth and softness. There are so many variations of sweaters with each of them serving a different purpose within your fall and winter wardrobe. Today I am detailing the four types of sweaters that I think every woman should have in her closet and finding great options for you to start adding to your own collection!
The long cardigan is the equivalent of a coat on days when temperatures don’t drop low enough to warrant full winter gear. It is the perfect layering piece, as it can be thrown on over just about any top in your closet. These cardigans vary in weight and length, but I always try to stick to styles that at least cover my bum so I can wear them with jeans or leggings.
- This Free People cardigan has been all over Instagram this season, and with good reason. It is so soft and cozy and the pattern in the weave makes it stand out from all the other pink cardigans. I bought it in the pink and gray color because it was just that good!
- If you are looking for a good white cardigan, this Express sweater is one of my favs this season. It is a nice tight weave, making it good for chillier days when a cold breeze is not welcome under your cardigan. I also bought this one in the brown color and it looks amazing paired with black.
- For a true statement cardigan, I am loving this Indah duster cardigan. Perfect cream color, beautiful texture, and the oversized length is guaranteed to help you make an entrance!
- If you are addicted to black clothing like I am, you will understand my obsession with this Tularosa sweater. It has a streamlined silhouette with a fuzzy texture that just looks so warm and cozy. It is definitely on my wish list!
Thin Layering Sweater
Thin layering sweaters should be a staple in every woman’s closet, as they provide the perfect base layer for leather or suede moto jackets, tweed jackets and heavier winter coats. There are times when the weather turns truly brutal and a thin cami will not suffice under a jacket. Thin sweaters will fit tight to the body and easily slip under any jacket, providing an extra layer of warmth.
- How fun is this gray and black polka dot sweater from J. Crew? This would look fantastic layered under a black leather jacket or a tan suede moto jacket!
- This Topshop gray ribbed sweater with gold button sleeve detail is the perfect base layer for a plaid blazer, one of the hottest trends this fall. I LOVE how the sleeve detail gives it a little special interest and the price is unbeatable!
- Stripes are a classic that never fail and the rich tan and black of this Demy Lee sweater have me swooning. Layer this beauty under a black leather jacket or a tan trench coat for a perfect look!
- This Scotch & Soda turtleneck sweater from Shopbop is the most beautiful dark purple color and has subtle metallic threads running through the fabric. This color screams fall and will give off the perfect moody vibe when paired with a black jacket.
Loose Mid-Length Sweater
The loose mid-length sweater has emerged as one of my favorites this year. Retailers have created so many great styles this season with ruffles, pom-poms, and balloon sleeves. This type of sweater looks great with jeans and has a relaxed, slouchy vibe that feels oh-so-comfortable. These are the winter equivalent of the summer T-shirt. Just throw one on with jeans and boots and you are good to go!
- I have a true obsession with this Express sweater! It covers all the bases. It is the softest chenille fabric, comes in 6 colors, and it is so affordable. It hits just above the hip area and is just fitted enough to not make you look like a linebacker, but loose enough to accommodate Thanksgiving dinner.
- Red is THE color for Fall 2017 and this Line & Dot sweater with ruffled sleeves is giving me all the feels. Pair this with a tulle skirt for a perfect holiday party look or with jeans and red heels for a more casual party look.
- Topshop is always guaranteed to give you great, trend-driven design at crazy affordable prices. The button detail paired with the burgundy color of this sweater is one of my favorites of the season.
Long Tunic Sweater
Rounding out our list of sweaters is one that I know all of my fellow moms will love! The long tunic sweater is one that covers the bum and can be worn with jeans or leggings. It is the ultimate in casual comfort but looks so much more polished than a sweatshirt. This look can take you straight from the early morning soccer game, to the grocery store , out to dinner that night!
- The tie detail on this Free People sweater is so unique! I love this paired with black leggings and black mules or tennis shoes!
- The color of this Chelsea28 sweater is perfect for fall, but I am also really loving the tiered ruffle sleeves.
- I love the cable pattern on this Vince sweater and the color is the perfect nude neutral.
Looking for inspiration on how to wear your sweaters? Check out my outfit inspiration post for two great ideas!
All the ❤︎,